How can stormwater be a problem?
A stormwater drainage system not only transports water, but anything else that intentionally or unintentionally enters the system. Items transported through the system could include trees, limbs, leaves, soil, silt, oil, fertilizer, metals and any chemical contaminant of the water. These items have the potential to contaminate our streams and rivers.

Large storm events in urban, developed areas can cause flooding. In areas with natural ground cover, only 10% of rainwater becomes runoff and the other 90% is absorbed into the ground or evaporates. In urban areas, up to 55% of rainfall can become runoff. This increased runoff can cause flooding, erosion, property damage and pollution if not properly managed.

Show All Answers

1. What is a watershed?
2. What is a stormwater drainage system?
3. How can stormwater be a problem?
4. What are the fish painted on my storm drain?
5. Whom should I contact for assistance with a drainage concern?
6. What is being done to protect local water quality?